Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Friday, March 5, 2010

Spike Lee Calls Out Tyler Perry



I had to watch this clip twice to fully understand where Spike was coming from. At first glance,it DOES appear Spike is a little salty.But does he have a point? I've had many conversations with friends about Tyler Perry and I've said some of the same things Spike is saying.Don't get it twisted,I'm all for a brother making moves in Hollywood and breaking box office records.For YEARS we've complained about our characters being few and far between. Sure there's Denzel,Will Smith,Jamie Foxx and......ummm.....I can't think of anyone else right now. Tyler Perry has been VERY successful.He was able to build his own brand of entertainment and he has his own studio......HE HAS HIS OWN STUDIO!!! There aren't many people in Hollywood able to say that.I applaud him on his success. His story is remarkable. But at what point do we move away from these type of characters?
Let me ask you this.
Do you think TBS would advertise his shows as much if they were similar to Law & Order or CSI? If the cast members were all black and it was a drama instead of this type of comedy,do you think we would see THAT in syndication?
Let me ask it another way.
Would WE support THOSE movies from Tyler Perry the way we support Madea? I mean after all,many of our people are hooked on Tiny & Toya and Frankie & Neffe.....smh(check out my blog Reality vs.REALITY from Jan)
In my opinion,Spike has a valid point when he says "this is on US". I will give you an example. Two weeks before "Madea Goes To Jail" was released in Feb.09,Bishop T.D.Jakes' movie "Not Easily Broken" with Morris Chestnut and Taraji P.Henson was released. That was a GREAT movie. But not many people saw THAT movie because everyone was waitin to see Madea. Look,I'm happy for Mr.Perry and wish him nothing but blessings. But isn't it time to flip the script?
His response

HELLO!!!!!!!!
MADEA HELPED YOU BUY YOUR OWN STUDIO!!!!!
I THINK YOU GOT EVERYONE'S ATTENTION NOW!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mod, this is my first time visiting your blog, and I am duly impressed. Now, having said that, I must comment on Spike Lee and Tyler P. The two should collaborate. Yes, they should. Because this rift, or difference in opinions between the two only weakens both and it divides the black viewers. SO now we have Tyler-ites Vs. Lee-ites, with the Tyler-ites in the lead.
    If Spike is serious about changing the face of black people on tv, he will swallow his pride and Tyler will swallow his donut and the two would make a movie that all black people can enjoy AND learn from! Cause let's face it, we go to the movies to be entertained, and Tyler is good at that. Spike is an excellent teacher, and is good at pulling out the racial injustices and pushing them in everyone's face to examine. We need both if we are to upgrade black entertainment. Spike, get with Tyler, and make magic happen!

    What a blow to the 'powers' that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I don't know why my name is showing up as mmmmm. I am not even eating chocolate!

    Sharri Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shari!? WTH!? lol!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for checking out the blog. I agree but I believe egos are too big to do that. However,if WE as a people and consumers would support BOTH of their projects. They COULD collaborate without ever speaking. Instead when someone like myself brings this topic to light. I'm called a hater and Spike Lee is called a hater. Why can't we all agree to disagree without using the word hater? THAT'S part of the problem WE have as a people. We take criticism as being hate. That's why in my blog I said I had to watch it twice to understand his point.
    Thanks for visiting......"mmmm"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree: it's coonery and buffoonery, which is why I don't watch his movies or TV shows.

    But, why are we as black Americans continuing to support these stereotypical movies/TV shows? We have a black president and yet we are still supporting characters that resemble minstrel shows.

    I think Siditty had a great blog entry back in September that summed up Tyler Perry movies.

    http://siditty.blogspot.com/search/label/Tyler%20Perry

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, Mod, I think Perry keeps coming back to Madea because those are his biggest sellers. Compare ticket sales to "Family that Preys" and "Why Did I Get Married" and I don't believe they make the same money as "Madea Goes to Jail" or "Family Reunion". Personally, I wish he'd get away from characters like Madea and Brown all together. He can make the same points without those characters. My favorite movie to date is "Family that Preys" because it is so not what you would expect of a Tyler Perry movie. And for the record, I can't stand House of Payne or Meet the Browns. I agree with Spike completely on those.

    ReplyDelete