Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Monday, August 2, 2010

Are Civil Rights Groups Still Relevant?


After the Shirley Sherrod incident a couple of weeks ago,I made the statement that the NAACP is no longer relevant. Ok,I said it a little stronger than that but I would like to pose the question again. Are the NAACP and other civil rights groups still relevant today? Maybe on the local level but nationally,I don't think so. There are too many other outlets who are able to reach people who otherwise wouldn't have a clue what's up going.Websites,blogs,talk radio and more aggressive,younger groups have replaced the old guard,who would prefer to march and protest as opposed to creating a plan and getting the word out quickly to put that plan into action. One of my personal favorites is the Color of Change,the group headed by Van Jones.I receive emails throughout the week that are very informative about things that are taking place in our community. Operation PUSH,The Rainbow Coalition,SCLC,NAACP,CBC and a few others how served the community well. But are they still relevant and effective as they have been in the past?
My answer to that is NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment