Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Monday, June 14, 2010

Where's The Outrage Over Baseball's Lebron James?


I don't blog too much about sports,I leave that to my friends over at thestartingfive.net. Please check them out,they're part of My DNA(blogroll on right). After seeing this story all over ESPN and reading the blog on The Starting Five,I HAD to throw my three cents in.

The kid in the above picture is Bryce Harper. I will admit up front,this kid is the TRUF(that's "truth" for those of you not from Alabama).I saw a video of him hitting a baseball 502ft at age 15 and thought to myself,this is the baseball version of Lebron James. The media attention he was getting along with raw natural talent assured him he would be a very rich man after high school. But this kid DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL AFTER HIS 10TH GRADE YEAR AND GOT HIS GED so he could go play ball at a JUCO(Junior College) and get to the big leagues.Last week,the Washington Nationals chose him with the overall #1 pick in the draft. I'm happy for the kid and can't wait to see what he does on the field.

But here's MY problem.
Why was there such an outrage when kids were skipping college and going straight to the NBA? But no outrage over Bryce Harper.
My opinion,some people have a hard time seeing young black men with millions of dollars. Sorry,but I just call'em like I see'em. Plus,college athletics has almost become the new slave trade. Colleges and Universities make tens of millions of dollars off of these kids,but penalize them if they get a job. Sure they get a free education,but how many jobs you know will pay an average of 3.5 million a year to someone fresh out of college?
The talking heads on ESPN and other members of the media thought it was a GREAT idea when the NBA instituted a plan to ban kids from declaring for the NBA draft until they turned 20 years old."Pundits" said,"they're not mature enough yet". Well, how in the world is it acceptable for those same circle of people to sit quietly while this kid DROPS OUT OF SCHOOL to go pro?
Is HE mature enough?
Why isn't anyone calling HIS parents out?
I have a 14 year old son who has played baseball since he was 4. I truly believe he has what it takes to make to the Major League one day. It's his dream,his goal and he's working VERY hard to make it happen. But he knows,regardless of how many people he strikes out or how far he can hit a baseball,if he doesn't continue to get good grades,there's going to be consequences and repercussions. The importance of having an education is STRESSED because there will be life after baseball. Sure the possibilty of him hooking his dad up with a big fat crib in Hawaii overlooking the pacific ocean would be nice.......VERY nice.........(daydreaming)........my bad,my bad.
Look,I know this kid is special.
I know he can hit a basball from here to the ATL(shawty).
I know he's the baseball version of Lebron James.
But what I DON'T know is.....why is everyone so quiet about this story?
WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE!?

Holla back,I want to hear your opinion on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment