Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Monday, January 24, 2011

No Standing Ovation For Steve Harvey's Ex Wife


*Clapping*
Great job Mrs. Harvey! You sure did put a dent in the brand known as Steve Harvey. But wait, you're no longer MRS. Harvey. You're now MISS HARVEY! Is that why you have chosen this time to come forth with things you should have presented in a court of law? I'm not buying the "He manipulated the courts" argument. Any court in America would have awarded you your son, alimony and a six figure a month child support check if what you say happened is true.
*No longer clapping*
I sat and kept my mouth closed over the weekend as people around me talked about the now infamous videos of Steve Harvey's EX wife. I sat and kept my fingers to myself (instead of typing) as I read thread after thread on the internet and social media.
The comments were laughable:
"I knew he was a fraud"
"Bout time someone exposed him"
"He ain't no relationship expert, he just wants to sell books."
"He's trying to pimp God by going on tour with Kirk Franklin."
I read it all.
 But what really stood out to me was how quick people turned on this man. For years, people have helped this man sell out shows and made his morning show number one in most major markets.
It amazed me how cold and cruel they were with their comments too. I'm not talking about passing judgement on him, I'm talking about the pleasure people took in discussing the "downfall" of this man. I have NEVER heard of or observed another race of people who takes pride in building up one of their own, but takes even more pride in tearing him down or watching him fall.
I recall about a year ago when people in the blogasphere, social media and everywhere else were tearing him apart for crying on TBN while doing an interview with Donnie McClurkin. Many of them accused Steve of trying to manipulate the public .
They were saying,
" How you gonna say you love the Lord but still curse?"
" Those tears weren't real."
The man never proclaimed to be perfect. He said himself, that he was a work in progress. And you know the messed up part about the TBN thing? It was mostly Church Folks who were throwing darts at him. I'm so sick and tired of you holier than thou people with your church attitudes and rules on proper Christian protocol judging whether someone's worship is real or not. You are the number one reason why some people in the black community don't attend church. You can blame it on the "mega-church" if you want to. But YOU are the reason. You need to sit yo stuck up, judgemental......WAIT.....my bad. That's the old me coming out. Let me stay on track!
I'm willing to bet that if Steve Harvey was only concerned with cursing, smoking and drinking, most people would have NEVER said the things on message boards and social network that were said about him this past weekend. They would have come to his defense and said, "That woman is lying. She's just bitter and scorned." But since he has proclaimed, he's trying to live right and God is now the center of his life, people were quick to call him a hypocrite!"
Just because this man has written a couple of relationship books, he's held to a higher standard? Hell, R. Kelly write some of the best love songs that the ear has ever heard. Is he held to the same high standard? Does what Steve Harvey is accused of doing, trump Kells taking a leak on a 15 year old?
Have you stopped listening to "When A Woman Loves"?
(Y'all dont' want to talk for real)
Has it occured to some of you that he may be writing the type of books he's writing because God is working on his heart? Is it possible that he recognizes in order to clear his conscious, he has to drop some knowledge to help women avoid dealing with men like the man he used to be?
I don't know if the things his ex-wife said are true or not, and honestly, I don't care. But since we're on the things his ex-wife said; Did anyone other than me find it interesting that at the end of the second video, she promoted a book that was written as a response to Steve Harvey's book? Let's see, Steve's current book has sold over a million copies. Shanae Hall's book has sold............. EXACTLY!!
What better way to get people to buy her book than by having his ex-wife trash him and at the end say, "This book really helped me through my tough times."
I guess that little book called THE BIBLE wasn't available, huh Miss Harvey?
* Personal note*
 God has spoken some things over my life. And since He is not a man that he shall lie, there may come a time when I have a platform to affect the lives of others. If I get that platform, I will have no shame in professing my love for Jesus Christ, just as Steve Harvey has. If you think for one second, you are reading the words of a perfect man or a man that has not made his share of mistakes, you are crazy. I have done some things that make Steve Harvey look like a priest! (Ok, maybe not a priest but you get the point). If you knew a third of the things I've done, many of you would stop reading my blogs and start attacking me right now for even coming to the defense of Steve Harvey. So if the day comes when someone say "I remember when" about me; don't be surprised. Just say, Mod said he wasn't perfect. And the last time I checked, Steve Harvey didn't claim to be perfect either. So why are many of you acting like he said he was?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Moderick Lumpkin. Anyone who has been married knows that the "His and Hers" are not just monogrammed on the towels. ANYONE male/female that have been married 15 years have a story to tell. Mrs. Mary Harvey Jesus said "woman thou are loosed from thou infirmities" and just in case she does not know, T.D. Jakes wrote a book about it almost 20 years ag

    ReplyDelete