Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Monday, December 13, 2010

Steve Harvey's New Book


I wasn't a big fan of Steve Harvey's first book. Not really sure why, considering I didn't read one single page. I guess it was because I had a closed mind, or maybe I just thought of Steve Harvey as a comedian.The title didn't appeal to me either.
 "Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man"
I recall thinking to myself, "Here goes another brotha throwing men under the bus to(fill in the blank)___________
Sell a book!(Steve Harvey)
Lure folks to go see his movie! (Tyler Perry)
Get people to tune to his radio show! (Michael Baisden)
I've since changed my mind on Steve Harvey and Tyler Perry but Michael Baisden is another story.
*detour*
How many shows can you do on "I Caught My Man With Another Woman" or "Black Men Can't Handle A Real Woman" or "Pimps In The Pulpit"? That last one drives me nuts! Seriously, it's like that dude hates anything having to do with God and religion. Does he not realize that God is the one who gave him his platform? Yet he use it to criticize people for believing in prayer and call people who tithe "stupid"? He better be careful before God takes that platform and give it to a 5'8 155 lbs light skinned dude with freckles, who has a swagger like TI and a nonchalant, bold attitude like Kanye, who DESIRES to glorify God and uplift his people (in that order).
*back to the blog*
The other day, I was taking my weekly stroll around my local Books-A-Million and saw Steve Harvey's new book all over the place. I couldn't help myself, I picked up a copy and to my surprise, I couldn't put it down. From THE FEW PAGES I read, it wasn't the male bashing directory I thought it would be. It made a lot of since and really was aimed at the responsibilities of a man rather than his short-comings. As I walked out of the book store I started to wonder why Steve had changed his stance, why he went in a different direction than his previous book.
Why did I dislike the concept of his first book but seemed to appreciate the second book. Then it hit me, maybe the problem wasn't the book.
Maybe the problem was ME! 
Maybe I was so caught up into the "anti-male bashing movement" that I couldn't see the only person doing the male bashing was ME!
I'll be picking up a copy of Steve's latest book and I'll tell you what I think once I finish reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment