Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Friday, April 9, 2010

Have We Lost A Generation? Part II


This is one of the stories I started not to touch on earlier this week.But after doing more research on this couple,I just HAD to share this with you.
This is Nia Haqq 25 and Michael Muchioki 27.They appeared to be the next couple destined to achieve their piece of the American Dream.
They were college sweethearts.
They both were Greek.
Michael,a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.
Nia,a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.
Last week in New Jersey after leaving their engagement party with family and friends,they were murdered. This hit home for me because after reading more about their story,this could have been ME 12 years ago.
This could have been YOU.
This could have been YOUR fraternity brother or YOUR sorority sister.
They had their entire lives ahead of them and it was taken because someone wanted their Honda CRV. I'm pretty sure the couple would have given them the CRV. I'm pretty sure they would have given them the gift cards,the cell phones,the wallet,the purse. I'm pretty sure they would have even given them the engagement ring.All they had to do was take it and leave them alone.
But Noooooo.........THESE TWO PEOPLE

YES,THESE TWO......didn't do that.
They simply walked up to them and put two shots into Michael's head and two shots into Nia's head.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON WITH THIS GENERATION?

I admit,I'm not doing as much as I can to find out.I talk to a few of my son's friends who don't have a father(or male figure)in their life but that's about it. For the most part they are great kids.They just need someone to teach them about what's right,what's wrong and what's expected of them as a young man. Because as much as it pains me to say this,Lil Wayne,Gucci Mane and Souljah Boy are many of these kids examples. They see them and think it's cool to wear their pants sagging,it's cool to have tats all over their body(not knocking tats),it's cool to go to jail.So,if a man doesn't tell them that's NOT cool,some of these kids will never know there's an alternative. There ARE many organizations doing things to reach these young men and they should be commended for it. But how did we get to a point where women(GIRLS) are bold enough to put a gun to someone's head and pull the trigger? When will we stop embracing songs like "I Hit That Bit*h With A Bottle"? (if you've never heard it go to youtube).And PLEASE spare me "it's only art and entertainment". Listen,if that's how you feel and you're not doing anything to reach these young women to let them know the difference between "entertainment" and reality,please remove yourself as a follower of this blog and member of the fanpage. Because you are indirectly co-signing on the foolishness.
Some of you know me personally,some are just meeting me through this blog. But whether you know me or not. I BEG you to help me in reaching out to some of these young kids. Black.....White.....it doesn't matter. We are living in a world where people need to start speaking up and fighting with FORCE the destructive ways of satan. He IS at work but he won't win.....he CAN'T win. I had plans of launching some kind of mentoring program later this year. But I think I need to reconsider and do something NOW. Not sure yet,but I will be in prayer about it. Meanwhile, I encourage you to get involved with a church, an organization or SOMETHING to help save this generation and the next generation.Our lives literally depend on it.

If you need motivation,just watch this video.After you stop crying,make a decision to do something.

3 comments:

  1. So sad. I'll pray for their families.

    I was once help up at gun point and it was/is only by the grace of God that I'm alive today.

    The issues? I don't think it relates to whether a person has two parents in the home or not. Or even if it's because they were in desperate need of anything... I believe the issue is that people have lost respect for themselves and for others. Of which they get a lot of that from the music they listen to.

    If you're constantly listening to songs that says you're a "dog, b*tch, ho, skank, trick, etc." Eventually you'll believe that you are. The same is true for songs that promote violence. But it's not just the music, it's also the media images in movies, videos, TV shows, etc.

    I have a program for girls and the # 1 lesson I teach above all else is self-respect. If you respect yourself enough you won't let others disrespect you and you won't submit yourself to verbal abuse by listening to music that degrade you.

    This is a great post! I agree that it's time for all of us to step up and be mentors and leaders for our young people. They need us... and their actions are cries for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dea......maybe I should have mentioned the violence on tv and in movies. But I was typing so fast I just fail to mention them. I've checked out what you're doing.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tragic story. It hits me particularly hard because I have two teenage daughters. I was shocked when I scrolled down and saw the pics of two GIRLS. Maybe we need to start focusing on ALL children....not just young, troubled boys. Hopefully something good will come out of this and it will stir people to take action. Kudos to Deaquelynn for nurturing young girls and making the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete