Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Sunday, February 28, 2010

Goodbye Black History Month,See You Next Year

I remember as a kid getting my Black History "assignments". But at the end of the month,all I could tell you was...we were slaves,Harriet Tubman conducted the Underground Railroad,Abraham Lincoln "freed"the slaves,Rosa Parks wouldn't give up her seat and Dr. King Had A Dream. It was the same thing,year after year. So much so that I would save my assignments from the previous year and used them for the following year. To my surprise no one noticed either. But as I got older,I started to recognize it for what it was.....A JOKE!!!! NOOOOO,I'm not saying the HISTORY is a joke. But the fact people would make it such a big deal one month and never discuss it the next month,was interesting to me. Now as an adult with children,who are forced to repeat the same cycle,I'm CONVINCED it is a joke.
Not because the schools only talk about the accomplishments of our people once a year. But because we as PARENTS only talk about it once a year. Everyone gets excited when their "baby" gives the "I Have A Dream" speech. But as soon as February ends,they're back to quoting Weezy F.Baby-PLEASE say the Baby(that's Lil Wayne for those who don't have kids).Our history is too great to be wrapped up into one month. So can we PLEASE not wait until February 2011 to have Black History month?

No comments:

Post a Comment