Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rev. Sharpton Tears Into Tavis Smiley LIVE On The Radio

So,It's Tuesday night,I was restless and couldn't sleep. I missed bible study tonight so I decided to listen to an old sermon(Love Sick)by my Pastor-Pastor Vanable H. Moody II of The Worship Center Christian Church in Birmingham,Al.Hit him up on facebook. Just put Pastor Van in the search box.
Anyway,so my plan was to take some thera-flu,check out a few of my favorite sites, wait on the tera-flu to kick in and lay it down. You know,I can't remember the last time I checked out Dr.Boyce Watkin's blog(The Boyce Blog)but for some reason,tonight I decided to check it out and low and behold I stumbled on this.

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE CONVERSATION


YEP,you heard it right. Rev. Al and Tavis Smiley arguing LIVE ON THE RADIO about whether or not President Obama needs to have a "Black Agenda". And in case you're wondering how I feel about that,my answer is NO!!!!!! (will explain why in my next blog)
*sighing*
I really don't know where to start or if I should start at all. There are two words that drive me absolutely crazy when I see them used in the same sentence. Those words are "Black Leaders". I like to call it the HNIC syndrome. I've never really agreed with the term. Sure,I understand the purpose,but to suggest that one person is a "Black Leader" is to suggest that we all think alike and can't express ourselves without someone speaking for us.Well,actually some of us can't(that's another blog).
I'm not the biggest Rev.Al fan in the world but I do respect what he has attempted to do over the years. Tavis Smiley on the other hand is a different story. I have a genuine disdain for Tavis after he DEMANDED that then Senator Obama attend his State of The Black Union conference. After Obama said he was too busy RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT,but would send his wife instead,that wasn't good enough for Tavis. Plus I thought his conference was becoming a sham anyway.Just a place for people to get their egos stroked and sell books.Rev. Al confirmed that belief.
So when Shaprton put him on blast I was more than excited to see someone tell Tavis what I've been saying for years. Tavis takes what he wants to hear and says it the way he wants it to be heard. The fact that they did it on air is what bothers me. I'm sure the racists over at FOX and other Conservatives are going to love this. Just watch it play out over the next 48 hours.But honestly, I thought it was something that was long overdue. I think even Rev. Sharpton has grown tired of Tavis's act.
Oh well,just thought I would share.Forgive me if it sounds like I'm all over the place with this blog,but the thera-flu is finally kicking in.
Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment