Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prayer In Public Schools


I was involved in a discussion the other day with a friend who was bent out of shape because people were protesting the Pro-Life commercial of Tim Tebow during the Super Bowl. She made the statement of how it's a shame people aren't allowed to express their beliefs or even pray in schools or in the workplace anymore without offending someone.
I really don't understand how and why people continue to get bent out of shape over issues like this.I believe schools are a place to learn, not a place to pray and learn scriptures like the "wonderful" state of Alabama is proposing. I need to double check but I think I saw an article that said there is a proposal to teach the Bible in public schools here in Alabama. No thanks, I'll pass.I belong to a Bible reading, Bible Teaching and Bible Living church and unless MY Pastor is about to go teach the Word in school, it ain't happening with my children.
If your child wants to say a prayer in school then they can say it privately or get with a group during lunch break.But I'm not interested in someone stopping class to pray over my children. Call me crazy but I'm VERY hesitiant about who I let pray WITH me and OVER me,let alone my children.
There are a group of people in this country who like to toss this issue around like a political football. But I guarantee you those same people would have a HEART ATTACK if they dropped their children off at school and a Muslim kid was in the corner praying with his Koran open. They would raise pure HELL. Why create that kind of hostility in a place where children are sent to learn? I won't lose any sleep if my kids don't pray at school because I know they're prayed for at home. I'm divorced but between me, my ex-wife and other family members,my kids are covered from the time they wake up until the time they lay back down. If more parents took THAT approach maybe they won't get so bent out of shape. Besides,what's the point of praying in schools if you're not praying at home? What's the point of praying publicly if you're not praying privately? Are you telling me that prayer in the schools will stop the violence in schools? Are you telling me that prayer in schools will stop the dropout rate? As wonderful as that may sound,I seriously doubt it!!!
Don't get it twisted,I believe in the power of prayer.However,I believe prayer should take place in the HOME and not in a place of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment