Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Look Beyond The Surface !


When you look at this photo, what is your first emotion?
Is it one of pride?
Is it one of nostalgia?
Is it a reminder of how far we've come?
What is it?
Over the last few weeks this photo has been floating around social media under the caption;
"One Black Man Died For Another Black Man To Win."
When you read that caption the photo looks innocent, right?
It looks like a photo you can add to your Obama Photo Collection, right?
(All black people should have an Obama Photo Collection-this is history!)
So again I ask you, what is your first true emotion when you look at this photo?
I have to admit, when I first saw it, I too felt a sense of pride.
I felt a sense of nostalgia.
I felt a sense of history.
But then I looked at it again, and again, and again.
And the more I looked at it, the more those feelings started to disappear.
The more I looked at it, the more I started to feel offended.
The more I looked at it, the more I started to think,
"Something isn't right about this picture."
Look at it again..........
No go ahead, look at it!
A picture of Mrs. King comforting her daughter as she sit at her husband's funeral, and the picture of Mrs. Obama with her daughter, in the same position as Dr. King's daughter doesn't seem strange to you?
It's almost as if, someone-the creator of this picture, is trying to send a message.
I know, I know.....some of you are probably saying,
"Mod you're reading too much into it, it's just a photo."
Is it?
Am I really reading too much into it?
By now, many of you should know me well enough to know that I wasn't going to just let this photo go unchallenged......or shall I say, unchecked!
So I did a little research and wouldn't you know, my research lead me to a website (that I won't promote on this blog).
The website is a radical, right wing, modern day KKK  conservative website that's dedicated to demonizing President Obama.
This is the website that first came up with the idea of passing out bumper stickers with
" Pray For Obama- Psalm 109:8" on them.
You may ask, what's the big deal?
I'll tell you what the big deal is-go look up Psalm 109:8.
No, go ahead, I'll wait on you.
SERIOUSLY! GO LOOK IT UP!
*five minutes later*
NOW do you get it?
Just like people were putting those bumper stickers on their cars and not knowing the message behind that verse.
Many are now passing this photo around social media and not understanding the meaning behind this photo.
Yes, I know what the caption says, but that caption was added by someone on social media.

For those of you who are still lost, let me help you out.
The same people who was praying for President Obama's children to be fatherless, and his wife to be a widow (Psalm 109:8),
Are the same people who constructed this photo.

For those of you who are STILL lost, let me help you out some more.
These people want the same thing that happened to Dr. King to happen to President Obama.
They want this photo to become a reality.
So the next time someone shares this photo with you, share this blog with them and tell them to look beyond the surface!

No comments:

Post a Comment