Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick Or Treat


So, did you go trick or treating last night?
No?
Why not?
Because Halloween is "of the devil" and Christians don't/shouldn't celebrate the "devil's holiday"?
Really?
When did all of this start?
It's always been that way?
Hmmm......that's interesting.
My grandmother and great-grandmother (R.I.P. to both) were two of the most religious, saved, filled with the holy spirit women EVER and not once when I was growing up do I recall them saying, "Halloween is the devil's day."
In fact, my grandmother's birthday was October 31st and she enjoyed celebrating her birthday by giving candy to kids dressed in Halloween costumes.
So again I ask you, when did all of this start?
*listening to your explaination and shaking my head*
I don't get it.
I don't get how people-(mainly Christians) can be so adamant about this, yet be silent on homelessness, the murder rate in our community, the lack of educational funding in many of our public school systems.......etc. etc.
Aren't those things evil and "of the devil" too?
Shouldn't the same type of tenancity you use when fighting off the evil spirits of a man made holiday or criticizing those who celebrate it, be used to fight off the evil injustices in our community? 
Just a thought........
Sometimes people can be so heavenly bound that they're no earthly good.


*This site is still not allowing me to interact with the followers of this blog. (Gotta get a new computer guy).But if you would like to discuss this or any other blog, please join us on FB.*

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes people can be so heavenly bound that they're no earthly good."

    No truer words spoken. I've always wondered about the celebration of this holiday especially as a child when we would have the contests in the basement of our church!

    Later when I was a graduate student at an internship site...I tried to secure assistance for a client via her church. You can't imagine what I went through to get aid in keeping the woman's electricity on for she had a child with special medical needs. Electricity was essential for this child's safety. To make a long story short...they finally agree to 60.00 towards it and I got the rest from a secular agency. That was many years ago but it struck a chord. This woman during her more productive years was a faithful tither with this church and it was not a small "poor" congregation by any means!
    Amazing LACK of grace!!!

    ReplyDelete