Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Monday, November 7, 2011

Men Lie.....Women Lie.....Numbers Don"t

For years, the image of the black woman in the media has always been a sensitive topic. Whether it's a music video, roles in a movie or let's say.............reality tv, the concern for many is that the image of the black woman has been and is still being distorted and misrepresented. I believe that's one of the many reasons a certain segment of people in our country had/has a problem with Michelle Obama. But that's another blog for another day.
Sunday night was the night BET showed their annual BLACK GIRLS ROCK special.
It's a show dedicated to highlighting and recognizing the many hats that black women wear.
The CEO
The Actress
The Entertainer
The Activist
The Harvard Educated Business woman
All of those things show the diversity of the most beautiful creature that God ever created;
The Black Woman!
Here, check it out.
(video courtesy of The Root)

(I didn't see the entire show but the parts I saw I loved.)
As I was saying, it was a celebration of the diversity of black women and the many hats they wear.
But out of all of those hats and titles, maybe the hardest is that of a HOUSEWIFE!
A housewife is a mother, a wife, a homemaker.
She's in charge of maintaining the home, taking care of the family, making sure the checkbook is balanced, the bills are current, etc. etc
She has to do all of this while at the same time being able to maintain the ability flip the script at any moment and walk into a workplace if she needs to or wants to.
That's the example of a REAL HOUSEWIFE!
But judging from the early numbers of the Nielson ratings, many people-women (BLACK women)
think THIS is what a "Real Housewife" does.
(video courtesy of Bravo TV)

Please don't misconstrue this blog as me trying to judge you for watching this form of entertainment.
That's not my intent.
My intent is to simply point out to you that if you want to dispel the myths and stereotypes.
If you want people to stop looking at you crazy when you walk into a department store.
If you want people to stop thinking you are a bunch of loud, golddigging drama queens,
SUPPORT SHOWS LIKE BLACK GIRLS ROCK and "REED BETWEEN THE LINES" with the same enthusiasm you support RHOA!
The early numbers for Sunday night shows that while BGR did well, it trailed RHOA by an almost three to one ratio.That means for every woman that watched the positive images of beautiful black women, there were three others watching the negative images of women who have silicone, boob jobs, butt implants no talent and sleep with married men to get what they want in life.......sorry, I meant these beautiful black women.*side eyes*
I hate to say that many women of color are more concerned with entertainment than substance, but as that great philosopher (Jay-Z) once said,
"Men lie...women lie....numbers don't."

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally! In order to change what is pushed through the media, we need to stop giving energy to what we don't need and focus only on what we do need. If these shows has no viewers they would not be on. ijs .......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched BGR and I enjoyed it from beginning to end!!! I feel sorry for RHOA because its NOT "REAL-LIFE" for me or many other women both those who watch and doesn't watch that show. I happen to fall into the category who doesn't "Do" reality television shows because I haven't seen one that I can "relate" to. You missed a treat Mod by only seeing BGR in bits in pieces. It re-aires on Tuesday. I hope you're able to catch it.

    ReplyDelete