Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Saturday, January 7, 2012

Top Athlete's Mom Embarassing Act


As some of you may know, I'm one of the biggest, most obnoxious Alabama football fans around. But if my son decided he wanted to play ball at Auburn (Bama's most hated rival), I would IMMEDIATELY become one of the biggest and most obnoxious Auburn fans around.
Why?
Because the love and support of my son, far outweighs the love I have for Alabama football.
With that being said, I want you to check out this video and tell me what you think.
Let me set it up for you.
The young man in the video is Landon Collins, the top high school safety in the country.
He's about to announce where he will play his college ball.
His top two choices are Alabama and LSU.
The young lady sitting next to him is his mother, who let's just say, wasn't too happy about his decision.
Check it out:


I don't know about you, but I thought the way she behaved was immature and irresponsible.
It wasn't bad enough that she was chewing and popping gum on national tv, but to publicly embarass her son like that was truly uncalled for.
If she disagreed with his decision, don't you think she should have waited and discussed the matter in private?
This young man already had the weight of the world on him and for her to carry on like a 12 year old, "popping gum, shaking her head, waving the other team's gloves, is not only embarassing, but downright disrespectful.

As an Alabama fan, I would love to see this young man wearing Crimson. But as someone who has coached youth sports in the past, I would prefer him to go to LSU. Because it's obvious he won't have support from the one person he needs it the most-his MAMA!
And if the parent of an athlete isn't happy, nobody will be happy-especially the athlete.
What an embarassing act by this top athlete's mom!

1 comment:

  1. I felt like she was wrong for letting her actions overshadow the importance of her son's big day. However, if what I have read is true I understand her being a little upset about his choice. The news reports her as stating when Coach Saban came to their home he immediately started talking up the boy's NFL career prospects, instead of pitching the Academics at UA. I think I would have been put off by that as well.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete