Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Are We REALLY Honoring Dr. King's Legacy?

Turn on the television........
Read the news..........
It's all around us-the disrespect of Dr. King's legacy.
And NO I'm not talking about the fact that the GOP chose to have their debate in SOUTH CAROLINA on his birthday.
And I'm not talking about the fact that those same GOP presidential candidates sat quietly while Newt Gingrich made some of the most disrespectful and vile comments about black people that I've ever heard.
*memo to the GOP*
(Sometimes I would prefer to just be called a Nigger instead)
No, I'm not talking about the disrespect that comes from the outside.
I'm talking about the disrespect from within.
See for yourself:


Our community is in the shape it's in right now, because of this mentality.
Some of you may say this is an isolated incident, but it's not.
I've seen several promotions (locally) over the last few years of people promoting parties to "honor" Dr.King.
And you know what?
People attended those parties and didn't think twice about it.
As a whole, I believe we really have no respect or honor for the man and what he stood for.
Sure, we all celebrate and go through the motions by singing
"We Shall Overcome" and making our children learn and recite the "I Have A Dream" speech.
But do we really respect Dr. King's legacy?
Are we really living up to it as a people?

Just something to think about................

No comments:

Post a Comment