Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Thursday, August 18, 2011

Can The HBCU Network Be Successful?

Check out the picture of MY band, The Alabama State University Mighty Marching Hornets (Fall' 89)

AS-AS-AS-AS-U!!!
I'm SO ready for the fall and all the festivities that come with Black College Football games.
That's why I got super-duper excited (Yes, I said SUPER-DUPER), when I read that a former BET exec was launching the HBCU network.
That meant I could see the bands, the stepshows, the activities on the yard and all the other hidden elements of an HBCU.
This is something that would greatly benefit our people and serve as a recruiting tool for HBCUs at a time when they desperately need it.
But my excitement was quickly shattered by a dose of harsh reality.
As in televison reality.
As in- Reality Show reality.
Although I think this network would have some success, especially during the fall;
You and I both know that people won't support it unless it has some drama.
I'm not talking about a dramatic series type of drama.
I'm talking about
"Throwing water in your ex-wife face, women fighting each other and calling each other bit*hes after sleeping with somebody's man and talking about each other behind their backs drama.

You guys know just as well as I do, that we as a people would rather watch that stuff instead of something educational and informative.
You disagree?
Ok, let me ask you this:
You have a choice to watch the reunion show of "Basketball Wives" or the premiere night of the HBCU Network.
Which one would you watch?
Case closed!
I think the idea of an HBCU Network is brilliant. But unfortunately, if it doesn't have some kind of foolishness on it, it won't be successful.

*Just calling it like I see it*

No comments:

Post a Comment