Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Saturday, May 19, 2012

African-Americans and High Blood Pressure


Today while I was at the gym doing my 5 miles on the stationary bike (after I did 5 miles on the treadmill and before I walked 1.5 miles at the park), I read an article in a health and fitness magazine that I found very alarming.
The article highlighted the number of African-Americans who take medication for high blood pressure.
The reason the article was so alarming is because it suggested that 35% of those people are under the age of 40.
Unfortunately, I know a few people who fall into this catagory.
Board of Directors, that is NOT normal!
At age forty, you should be in the best shape of your life!
Yes, I know your time may be limited.
Yes, I know you have to take care of the kids.
Yes, I know you work a lot of hours.
But I firmly believe people (especially men) make time for what they want to make time for.
Why not make time to take care of your body?
Last year as I approached my 40th birthday, I made a committment to get in better shape.
Since making that commitment I've lost 15 pounds and I feel great!
Now as I approach my 41st birthday on Monday, I'm determined to stay on my health and exercise kick.
And I'm determined to get as many people as I can to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment