Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Friday, May 13, 2011

30th Anniversary of Bob Marley's Death

May 11th marked the 30th anniversary of the death of Bob Marley.
He died of cancer (or so they say) at the young age of 36.
I'm not old enough to remember the impact and influence he had on the world while he was living, but I remember the first time his music impacted MY life.
It happened during my days at Alabama State University when me and the rest of the Birmingham crew would ride around 5-6 deep in Dwayne Carlton's Blue Chevy Blazer with all the windows up on our way to Top Flight Disco & Lounge.(insert your own thoughts)
Somehow, the  lyrical content in his music became embedded in my brain and changed the way I looked at the world. Honestly, it made me a rebellious, radical, outspoken young man who would question every aspect of life. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm the way I am today-I don't know. But I do know the message in his music is just as relevant today as it was 30 years ago.
Case and point: 

No comments:

Post a Comment