Discussing social, political and religious issues that affect our community, and our country. The Board Room is more than a blog, it's a movement!



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Freedom,Liberty, Patriotism and Flag Lapels

*random blog*
I love this country.....I really do!!! This is the only country in the world that someone like me can write something like this and not be thrown in jail. But I must tell you, I am getting sick and tired of some people acting as if they have a copyright on what it means to be an American. 
You know the type!
They drive around with the American flag on their car.
They wear t-shirts with the American flag on it.
They love to use words like Freedom and Liberty.
But worst of all,they wear those stupid flag lapel pins.
 I really can't explain why it bothers me so. I guess it all started when President Obama was running for office and he was criticized because he didn't wear one. Like wearing a flap lapel means you love this country more than those who don't wear one.
I don't know why I'm blogging about this........I take that back......I do know why.
I was watching CNN and saw a story about this 13 year old kid in California who was told by his teacher to take the American flag off of his bike. The principal said there had been racial tensions between white students and Hispanic students and felt the 13 year old was taunting the other students. Personally, I think that's ridiculous but if that's their policy then that's their policy.
Well a few days later a bunch of bikers show up and this kid starts passing out American flags. The scene of all of these bikers riding through the streets waving the American flag wasn't that big of a deal. But when they interviewed one of the bikers, he said,
 "Our Freedom and Liberties are under attack."
Then he walks away chanting USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!
I thought I was going to throw up!!
I know, this blog may seem petty. But these people and their "Love of Their Country" is starting to remind me of the south in the 1960s. Except now, the Confederate flag has been replaced with the American flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment